While maintaining a team of resources, in order to maintain quality, health and progress of collective team efforts it is quite vital to engage team building techniques. To the benefit of team members as well as the subsequent project work to be undertaken by them it is of foremost importance to develop project team on a continuous basis. This benefits not just the teams members in lifting their moral, work interest and motivation, but any positive outcome derived from these techniques will also be reflected in the overall quality of end work produced.
- Interpersonal Skills- It is essential to use the soft skills like empathy, influence, creativity and group facilitation (ex- agile stand up meetings) to bring cohesion between team members and to be able to work collectively in tandem.
- Training – Regular training boosts team member’s confidence in dealing with a particular technology and keeps the on the cutting edge of new skillsets prevailing in the current market. Training also helps in guiding the team to work in the most optimal method that has been tried and tested while following the best standards set by industry veterans.
- Team building activities- There are five stages of team development- Forming, Storming, Norming, Performing and Adjourning. Forming is the first stage where new teams are introduced and their skillsets are integrated into the flow of collective executive of their skills. The teams’ quality, attitude, work style is assessed and utilized in the best interest strategically. Storming is where every team member is exposed to the work culture by getting together and figuring out the work process, work responsibilities, individual contribution, their roles and things of that nature. There might be a clash of ideas or principles between new members which should be sorted out in this stage. Norming is where the team is acquainted with each other in terms of their work style, methodologies, interactive capacity and overall degree of comfort in working together. Performing is where the team will start performing at their highest level producing top quality results. Adjourning is when the project end and a team need to be disassembled or rolled on to a new project or a new engagement.
- Ground Rules – Expectations in every aspect of work should be clearly outlined and followed. This ensures a proper following of processes and rules as expected by the client.
- Co-Location – This helps build rapport between team members and helps with faster execution of project activities without going back and forth as much. This requires the team to be located in the same physical place rather than spread out and separate. This could be a war room or an agile form of project execution.
- Recognition and Rewards – This is the most overlooked area which if used efficiently can be very effective for the success of any particular project. Desired behavior should be rewarded and encouraged to maintain certain level of expectations. The reward could be a written gratitude for good work or bonus or advancement in their career.